Wednesday 9 May 2012

Letter to non sufferers

I would like to share with you a poem written by The Morbid One. She likens M.E. to living with an abusive partner. I've had this tab open for weeks, because I knew I wanted to share it, but every time I read it I burst into tears (due to everything I recently went through). It's an amazing poem, and I do hope it helps others to understand, as it is so true.

He tells me what I spend my day doing.
He makes me cancel on friends, and cancel appointments.
He decides whether I can read a book, or listen to music.
He gives me false hope; lets me think that I can achieve an unprecedented step forward, then pulls me back down to his level.
He tells me what I can eat and drink.
He’s indecisive, sometimes he lets me do something then changes his mind midway.
He plays tricks on me, and punishes me when I read his mood incorrectly.
He makes me feel sick in the same day that he let me be happy.
He makes me feel weak when inside I know I’m strong.
He controls how long I sleep, or if I’m allowed to sleep at all.
He makes me feel pain for no reason.
He makes me afraid of what will happen if I defy him.
He knows I dream of leaving him, and reminds me that I’m foolish for doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment