Wednesday 28 November 2012

Social Services Stole my M.E. Child

Sonia Poulton is searching for a family.

I NEED A FAMILY. Not just any old family, mind, this family needs to have experienced the nightmare of what it means to have their child diagnosed by a medical doctor as having ME, taken from the family home as part of Child Protection order. The child then needs to have been returned to the family home because it was WRONG for Social Services to have taken the child in the first place.

If you know such a family, please contact me and I will pass on your details to her. Hopefully she will give me a better way of contacting her yourself in the near future, but for now, that's it.

Sonia, in case you are unfamiliar with her work is a UK journalist who has been working extremely hard to bring the suffering of people with M.E. to light. She totally gets it, which is very rare for anyone who doesn't have M.E., and she has the voice, and is in the position, to do something about it. An absolutely awesome lady. She's also been working hard on illuminating the problems with the benefits system. She doesn't have to do either of these things, but has chosen to. So, if you can help with her search, please do.

Her full post (on Facebook) was actually as follows:

I have a problem and I'm adhering to the school of thought that says if I share it then I should also halve the burden it is causing me, so here goes...

I NEED A FAMILY. Not just any old family, mind, this family needs to have experienced the nightmare of what it means to have their child diagnosed by a medical doctor as having ME, taken from the family home as part of Child Protection order. The child then needs to have been returned to the family home because it was WRONG for Social Services to have taken the child in the first place.

That precise requirement is what I desperately need in order to fulfil the demands of producers on a TV news report I am working on.

Some people are not happy that we need that type of extreme example - and I understand why - but in order for the public to 'get it' the media frequently has to SHOUT an issue. This is one of those times.

This report is designed to shriek so loudly that those watching it will have no alternative but to wake up. It will not portray ME as only worthy if it is extreme but it needs to shock people out of the stupour of believing it's not a serious illness. It is. It can, and has, killed. How much more serious does it need to be?

So far I have been unable to get the family we need. I have other families, with less troubles, but I need others.

It's not that these families don't exist - sadly they do - but they have been filled with so much fear and anxiety about having their child taken away that they are scared to speak up about it, even anonymously. Which is super sad, really, because it means that they are unable to help those who are enduring that misery right now.

So that's my very long way of explaining I have a problem and if anyone can help in any way, either by knowing a family of this description or re-posting this status in any relevant places, I would be grateful.

We need to be able to show the UK how people with ME are being treated and unless I can get the example required then I fear it will not happen. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment