Monday 11 June 2012

Journey; Part 1

Two weeks ago I invited you to start a journey with me, in my attempt to recover some money from the DWP.

Today I made my first move. I telephoned the DWP to ask them whether my claim had been Income Based ESA or Contributions Based ESA. I was told that because the claim is now closed they cannot tell me. It will not tell them that on the system. As such I have to write to the DWP and request the information. The lady I spoke to could however tell me the dates of my claim and that when I originally made the claim I applied for Income Based ESA.

As such I have written a letter, included a stamped self addressed envelope, and will post it the next time I leave the house.

The way their systems work seems very strange to me. This is not the first time I've discovered something strange like this. I found a few months ago that you cannot change your address with the DWP when a claim has closed. So they sent a letter to an old address of mine asking me to go for a medical assessment, and then another telling me I had automatically failed since I hadn't turned up. Surely, if the claim was closed I should not need to attend a medical assessment; if it was not closed they should have been able to change my address and send those communications to my current habitation. This however, is not relevant to my current endeavour ...

No comments:

Post a Comment